About the Chefs
Joseph Cournoyer-Burnett, Chef d' Cuisine
A passion for fresh, seasonal ingredients and an innovative approach to building the most delectable menus are what drive Chef Joseph Cournoyer-Burnett, Chef d' Cuisine of Mama Della's Ristorante at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando. After attending Clark University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Chef Joseph got his professional start at Clarkes in Faneuil Hall in Boston, managing the kitchen, creating daily specials and sourcing local meat and fish from the city's famous Haymarket. He rose through the ranks, from line cook to sous chef and, ultimately, chef d' cuisine at the Ritz Carlton Orlando, where he continued to work with exotic ingredients from all continents and cultures under the guidance of Chef Norman Van Aken. Chef Joseph's passion for using locally-produced cured meats, charcuterie and other artisanal foods developed his own distinctive style and his innovative approach to cooking. He's worked alongside some of the most acclaimed chefs in the country, participated in a dinner at the prestigious James Beard House and presented at the 2007 Star Chefs Congress.
Mama Della's Frutti de Mare Recipe
Yields Two Servings. Allow 1-1 hours for preparation and cooking
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lobster Body with legs
- 1 Shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 Roma Tomatoes, cut in half
- 4oz of White wine
- 8oz of Clam Juice
- Whole Lemon, Peel Only
- Pinch of Crushed Red Pepper Flake
- 14oz of canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 6 Fresh Basil leaves thinly sliced
- 6 Fresh Parsley leaves thinly sliced
- Pound of Linguini Pasta
- 4 Scallops U-10
- 6 Mussels
- 1 Lobster (1.5lbs)
- 6 Clams with little necks
- 2 King Crab Claws, split
Method for Sauce
- Choose a pot that can hold 2 quarts of liquid and place on medium heat on stove. Add Olive oil to pot and when it begins to smoke very lightly add lobster body to pot. You will be roasting the shell in the oil.
- Once the shell turns light brown add the Shallots and Garlic to the pan and cook slow until light brown as well.
- Add Roma Tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add Wine and reduce until there is no alcohol smell left.
- Add Clam Juice, Red Pepper Flake, Lemon Peel and Canned Crushed Tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove Lobster Body and Lemon Rind and blend with hand blender till smooth.
Cooking Fish and Serving Dish
- Choose a 10-inch saute pan (All Clad Wok pan works well for this dish).
-Turn Pan on Medium/High heat and add olive oil to pan. Once light smoke appears sear scallops until brown on one side then add Clams and Mussels to the pan.
- Add sauce to pan and once shellfish opens add King Crab, Lobster, Basil and Parsley and return to boil.